What I should be doing...

The words of Andrew Murray: "To know how to speak to God is more than knowing how to speak to man." 

I found this convicting and encouraging. Since baby number three has arrived, it has been difficult for me to have a purposed prayer time for any length of time. I am still quite faithfully praying for others, but am not taking the time to really communicate with my Father. On my Kindle I have been reading Lord, Teach Us to Pray by Murray. He goes through the teaching of Jesus on prayer. Reflecting upon Jesus' directions in Matthew 6, Murray points out that 
"...the first thing the Lord teaches His disciples is that they must have a secret place for prayer; every one must have some solitary spot where he can be alone with his God."

 For me, solitary is not a spot, it is a time. My living room is not a lonely location, but at 6:00 in the morning I have ample assurance of not being disturbed were I to seek my Lord's face there. Sometimes I worry about coming before God after a time of lull in passionate, confessional prayer. Pastor Murray helped me out in that area as well,
"Do not be thinking of how little you have to bring God, but of how much He wants to give you. Just place yourself before, and look up into, His face; think of His love, His wonderful, tender, pitying love. Just tell Him how sinful and cold and dark all is: it is the Father's loving heart that will give light and warmth to yours. O do what Jesus says: Just shut the door, and pray to thy Father, which is in secret. Is it not wonderful? to be able to go alone with God, the infinite God. And then to look up and say: My Father!"

With encouragement like this, I am eager to embark on a morning prayer time tomorrow! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maddi Runkles: A Divergent View

Hello World

Managers of Their Homes: A Practical Guide to Daily Scheduling for Christian Home-School Families: A Review