Precursory thoughts on the Nature of Wisdom

Words have meaning.

Whew! Glad we got that pithy, not so profound statement out of the way! In actuality, these unobtrusive truths are the ones that my mind flits past. I determine that I understand the concept, have practiced, and mastered it.

I come to my daily bible reading schedule, which I have followed for several years (more on that at the end) familiar with the narrative describing to me the great pleasure that Solomon gave God by asking for Wisdom. Actually, his request in 1Kings 3 is for an ‘understanding heart’ or ‘mind’. The Lord was pleased, and gave Solomon “a wise and understanding heart”. Excellent. I know this. I have marveled over the humility of this man. The passage goes on to describe the infamous “Who’s Baby Is It Anyway” episode, revealing that Solomon truly possessed keen discernment about people, their motivations and passions. Later in the book, I noticed some other things that bespoke his practical efficiency. Here is where I learned some new things about wisdom.

The needs of his household, described in 4:22-28, were astonishing. Some of the daily needs were over 10,000 pounds of flour, twice as much meal, and twenty cows! He organized a system where no single person or group would be overwhelmed with the task of providing food. There were different stewards responsible for each month. It is very detailed, even giving the names of the officers. I appreciated the King’s thoughtfulness.

When I read a passage, my goal is to think about what it teaches me about the character of God, and what it calls me to do in obedience to God. While I was reading this part in 1 Kings, I noticed that Solomon’s wisdom is yet extolled again AFTER the lengthy discourse of the household needs and how they were accomplished. That is when I realized that I over-spiritualize what wisdom can be. I assume it to be this lofty goal, somewhat nebulous in meaning.

A friend once texted “Have a wise woman day!” She meant for me to make the choices I had been asking her and some other ladies to be praying for me to make. These were choices we are all faced with every day - Diligence over sloth, kindness over sharp, servant hood over self. When I read about Solomon’s wisdom extolled in how he kept his household, I felt relieved that my household duties aren’t a distraction from walking in a way worthy of the gospel, they are part of it! James 1:5 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” ESV This book really has helped me prioritize my life.

May I humbly encourage you to read Shopping for Time by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughters (Did I mention this is technically a book review? Or rather a book RECOMMEND!). It is short, and helpful. They are clear about what the scriptural principles are that should guide our daily life.

The book has five tips, with a chapter on each: Rise Early, Sit still, Sit and Plan, Consider People, Plan to depend. With conclusion and notes it spans 95 pages, making it a light book with some heavy, convicting, encouragements!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maddi Runkles: A Divergent View

Hello World

Managers of Their Homes: A Practical Guide to Daily Scheduling for Christian Home-School Families: A Review